Located near the northern tip of Manhattan island on a hill overlooking the Hudson River, The Cloisters are devoted to the art and architecture of medieval Europe. Opened in 1938, the structure incorporates elements of five French cloistered abbeys dating from the 12th through 15th centuries, including chapels, monastic abbeys and a chapter house.
The abbeys were disassembled before being shipped to New York, and reassembled in Fort Tryon Park between 1934 and 1938. Now a branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Cloisters is known for its Romanesque and Gothic architectural sculpture, and features stained glass, metalwork, paintings, illuminated manuscripts and tapestries. Its beautiful gardens were planted according to horticultural information obtained from medieval manuscripts and artifacts, and many medieval-style cloistered herb gardens can be found onsite. Today, both Fort Tryon Park and the Cloisters are listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
Learn more at www.nycgovparks.org